Take a look at some of my recent Repairs and Set-ups...
This SG copy came in with some serious wiring problems. The tone and volume pots had worked themselves a little loose, and while trying to tighten them up the owner had inadvertently spun the pots round and round, severing multiple connections!
It was a mess of broken or weakened solder joints! In fact one wire (later identified as the earth wire between the two tone controls) had managed to work itself loose at both ends and was just sat loose inside the cavity! There was also a lot of excess wire, leaving very little room to work, so I started by removing pickup wires, switch wires and the jack socket to give me room to resolder the volume and tone controls together along with their earth wires.
A short while later the guitar was wired correctly, given a full set-up and a clean all for a great price. Happy customer!
The owner of this Ibanez just wasn't happy with it. The Vibrato bridge unit was very high making it impossible to dip the bar, and causing a high action. The customer also complained of large contrasts in volume between the different pickup selections, and wondered if there was a wiring problem of some kind.
The fluctuations in volume were caused by one of the pickups sitting too close to the strings, a quick fix.
The Vibrato unit's problems were due to a lack of tension, from only 2 springs being attached to it (3 or 4 is a much more common arrangement, depending on preference) so a third spring found in the gig bag was added. Vibrato set-up is always down to the preference of the guitarist using it, but as the owner of this guitar is a beginner I decided to set it to allow for movement in both directions. A little more adjusting was required to get the bridge and the overall set-up just right before going back to it's owner.